Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:59:46 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Subject:   Re: hiding e-mail adresses needed badly

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:45:45PM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> des@des.no (Dag-Erling =3D?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=3DF8rgrav?=3D) wrote:
> > Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru> writes:
> > > It sounds heroic, but the position alone not helps to stop low-life=
=20
> > > con-men's invasion.
> >=20
> > Stop whining and install SpamAssassin.
>=20
> Seconded.  I get about two spam messages a week that get through to the=
=20
> inbox, and the rest picked off by SpamAssassin with a good spamfolder to=
=20
> assist it with Bayesian filtering (I don't delete spam, I move it all to =
the=20
> spam folder if I see it in my inbox).  Actually, you know what I'd like? =
=20
> Absolutely no protection for my address at all.  I don't want it hidden o=
r=20
> obfuscated and I especially don't want hidden restrictions about who I ca=
n=20
> and can't send e-mail to/receive e-mail from dictated solely by the mail=
=20
> server (i.e. can't receive mail from or send to my uncle using AOL... not=
=20
> using @FreeBSD.org as my address...)

Since I also have a working spam-filter (and download bandwidth is not
a constraint for me) I'm quite sympathetic to this viewpoint as well.

I highly encourage everyone in need of better spam protection to
install bogofilter - after training, it catches >98% of my spam with 0
false positives in at least the last 6 months.

Kris

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--