Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:05:36 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd SCSI problem in 2.2-STABLE...

Mike D Tancsa writes:

> > Hi...
> >
> > 	On one of our 2.2-STABLE servers, we get this message if we try to
> > do a 'reboot' on the machine:
>
> On some OLD 2940 cards, we had to turn on Plug and Play SCAM in the card's
> BIOS... Thats the only thing that leaps to mind.

Ditto. My Really Old 2940's (purchased with 1.10 BIOS, fast not ultra)
don't have this problem. Don't remember if the now-upgraded 1.16 BIOS
even has SCAM. Chip is the aic7870.

On newer cards with the aic7860 chip and 1.21 BIOS FreeBSD 2.2 would not
reboot. It would cold boot into FreeBSD, just not a reboot. Adaptec's
BIOS message would appear claiming to be scanning the SCSI bus. And
hang. Dumb old Win95 didn't have that problem. Neither did some version
of OS/2. Enabling SCAM cured the problem for FreeBSD.