Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:07:20 -0400
From:      Gerard <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating system GCC

I noticed this on the FreeBSD site regarding the latest version of
JAVA:

January 24, 2007: Greg Lewis has released the fourth patchset
(patchlevel 4, "Sumatran") for the JDK 1.5.0 software. This release
builds with GCC 4 and includes a number of bug fixes.

FreeBSD-6.2 does not come with GCC 4 or newer. While it is relatively
trivial to install it manually, it then is necessary to make changes
to the system /etc/make.conf file to insure its use. Wouldn't it be
more efficient for the FreeBSD team to integrate GCC 4.3 (I think that
is the latest stable version) into the base system? From what I have
read, this latest version has some major improvements over its
predecessors.

--
Gerard