Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:58:15 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Michael VInce <mv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tomcat jdk 1.4 crash

Michael VInce wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have Tomcat based web app that crashed today and the log said post it
> to the mailing list so here it is :)
> I don't know what it is but I figured I should probably give the Java
> process more memory.

Definitely. There might have been some OutOfMemoryErrors shown prior to
the crash. I've seen it once.

> Does any one believe using 1.5 Java would be better
> for Tomcat and what about using it on AMD64 ?

jdk15 has many bugfixes and improvements from Sun, over jdk14.
FreeBSD-wise they appear more or less equally stable from my experience.
I can't comment on amd64 though.

 > Also what about using 6.0
> Release the current machine is 5.4-STABLE on a Dual P4 Dell i386.

Although not related to the reported crash, that would also be a good plan.

Cheers,
Panagiotis