Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:52:30 +0800
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?=E5=BC=A0=E9=9F=A1=E6=AD=A6?= <weiwu@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tip(1) connect to another host with serial cable: vim display junk text

Hello List.

This is another stupid frequent question that might already get answered
a thousand times, but I cannot do effective googles because the word
'tip' is too general.

Local host is freebsd 6.1, remote host is Gentoo Linux. Both connected
through serial cable on COM1. Now I wish to control Linux with my
FreeBSD. This command can let me login to the Linux host

$ tip com1

But after I logged in I found using VIM would create junk text. It seems
VIM do not know my terminal is very wide (more then 130 characters per
line).

So, how do I fix it? Google did give me a lot of 'tips' but none of them
is related to my problem...

Best Regards