Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:27:47 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Hans Christensen <hansc@datamatrix.com>
Cc:        Adrian Mugnolo <adrianm@yahoo-inc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: site.config.m4 irritation

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:59:35PM -0700, Hans Christensen wrote:
> Hi, and thanks for the reply. I looked at that as well and only saw `uucp'
> stuff in there. As kind of a gut reaction, it didn't feel right but it can't
> hurt to try. When I did the make on the 8.12.6 port, site.config.m4 was
> found right where all of the web documents said that I would find it - under
> devtools/Site/site.config.m4. I also tried just dropping my configs (which
> are supposed to go into site.config.m4) into a sendmail.mc file, but to no
> avail as well. The closest analog that I can see seems to be under ostype. I
> would then need to create a Site directory and place it there... Maybe that
> ends up being right, I don't know. I also dug through the macros looking for
> reference to it but to no avail.

site.config.m4 is used to generate the Makefiles and other build
configuration for compiling sendmail.  It's mostly about which
directories files get installed into and what optional features should
be compiled in. It has nothing to do with the runtime
sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf stuff.

The system sources however don't use the m4 based configuration system
supplied by sendmail.org --- essentially they've already done that
step for you and saved the results into CVS.

You can configure the system sendmail with SASL support by editing
/etc/make.conf appropriately --- see the examples in
/etc/defaults/make.conf.  If that doesn't fulfil your requirements,
you could try the mail/sendmail port, which has this list of make(1)
defines available:

    # Options to define Features:
    # SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_IPV6=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_MILTER=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITH_TLS=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITH_SASL=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITH_SASL2=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITH_LDAP=yes
    # SENDMAIL_WITH_PICKY_HELO_CHECK=yes

By default, the port will install all it's files under /usr/local and
modify the mailwrapper(8) configuration to make the ports version of
sendmail the active one.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way