Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 23:01:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rjs@clark.net (Ron Steele)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-50622-SNAP install woes

Ron Steele stands accused of saying:
> I am still trying to get 2.0.5 installed.  I have it on a local 2.0R
> system, but can't seem to get it FTP'ed via the install program.  The
> network is ok, as I can FTP via the command line after doing alt F4.
> There are no error messages other than the generic failed message
> in the box on the install program, alt F1 reveals nothing.  I can only

Have you turned on the extra debugging flag?  It should tell you
exactly what it's trying to fetch, and from where.  If it scrolls
off the top of the screen, hit ScrollLock and use the cursor keys
to scroll back and read it.

> assume that there is a problem in the directory path, ie the install
> program is appending some directory onto what I give it in the dialog
> box that I don't have in my directory tree.

> Could some kind sole please tell me exactly the directory structure needed
> on the host and where to point FTP to from the dialog box in the install
> script.  I have read every bit of the install help files multiple times
> and have tried several different strategies based on inplications in these
> files.  I have downloaded and read every FAQ that I could find that has
> anything to do with FreeBSD.  Please, no RTFM replies unless you can point
> me to the exact location of the information.  As far as I can tell, it
> isn't there.

Well, RTFM insofar as your setup should look exactly the same as that
on all of the FTP sites.  Give the installer the path to the top level
of the mirror; for example, in my case I have the CD mounted on
/local2/archive/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE, and an anon ftp user logs in to
/local2/archive, so I give the installer
ftp://202.0.75.2/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE as the source.

If I'm using my laptop, running the NCSA telnet FTP server, I have to
set FTP active mode (the NCSA server doesn't grok passive).  In that
case, the files are in d:\archive\freebsd\205r, and an anon FTP user
gets d:, so it's ftp://202.0.75.3/archive/freebsd/205r

Make sure you have root.flp in the floppies directory, not UPDATES.

> Ron

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[