Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:38:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, anderson@centtech.com, Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Subject:   Re: Doc update

On 02-Oct-2002 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-10-02 06:33, Ross Lippert wrote:
>>
>> >It would be great to have a list of "no need to build the kernel if you
>> >are just trying to do these things:" items.. That would save a lot of
>> >time.  Who would know that list?
>> That's a good question.
>>
>> To add more complexity to the discussion there are actually two types of
>> "little tweaks" one could do.  The first is to put something in loader.conf:
>>      foo_load="YES"
>> The second is to put something in rc.local or the more modern /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>> which says
>>      kldload foo
>>
>> It may have been that I was doing something wrong, but I found that I could not
>> get sound loaded with the former, but I could with the latter (I think I tried
>> both snd and pcm for my "foo" above -- it was a while ago).
>
> Timing is everything.  The loader.conf stuff runs when very little
> things have been loaded & run by the running kernel.  The /usr/local
> things are loaded as modules close to the end of the booting process.

loader.conf is used before the kernel is running.  It is used by
loader(8).

> Some things might depend on being loaded very early in the boot
> process, to get their own stuff right.  Others don't.  This is the
> root of the differences you have pointed out.

Umm, it should make no difference.  If something doesn't work from
loader.conf then that is a bug which should be reported and fixed.
If anything, some things like bktr(4) might only work when loaded
from the loader (due to doing large contigmalloc()s).