Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 04:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writable /usr?

On Thu, 7 May 1998 09:20:35 +0930, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>Having many partitions is Evil.  It increases the likelihood that you
>will run out of space on one partition while having enough space on
>the disk.

This is a really simple-minded view of the world brought on by a DOS-only
background.  In actuality, multiple partitions, as implemented in fbsd, is
great.  This means that when my /var partition gets too full, I can
replace it with another hard drive mounted where the /var partition of the
main drive used to be.  Pop in the new drive, copy old stuff over, edit
fstab and I'm done. Of course, DOS machines can't even dream of such a
thing.