Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:11:42 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max phy mem known working with FreeBSD 4.x

Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > As far as PCI goes (or anything they publish, for that matter), the
> > MindShare books are very, very good.  But for the particular question
> > of how much physical address space is eaten, you really have to go to
> > the chipset spec. sheets to get the right answer these days.  8-(.
>
> The PCI book is good.  The others less so.  Bottom of the barrel is "plug
> and play arch" -- terrible.  Amazon's reviews are pretty close to reality
> IMO.

I actually really like the "Protected Mode Software Architecture", the
"EISA", and the "ISA" books.  The "Cardbus" and "Firewire" titles are
also useful.

Sorry to contradict you, but the "Plug and Play" is sufficient to let
someone write "PnP OS" code, by manually scanning devices in the OS,
instead of trusting the BIOS, which is good enough for me (I had an
old box that had a built in bus mouse on IRQ 12 that wasn't in the
BIOS; a PnP OS got this right; non-PnP OS's always failed to do the
right thing, and reassigned IRQ 12 to a conflicting device (the second
disk controller, on that particular box).

-- Terry