Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 09:12:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 - Isa devices not being probed

> >> The best "portable" coding method is with memory-mapped registers, which
> >> seems to  have been omitted from this "implementation", which is the gripe
> >> here.
> >
> >It "seems" that you haven't "read" any of the "documentation" or the
> >"code" either.
>
> No one has indicated that there is any docs on it, only that they are "in
> the works", which is promising but not terribly useful. The comments in the
> source dont qualify as documention.

You've been pointed to the extensive manpage collection several times
now.  On top of this, there are a stack of drivers available for
reference purposes.

> >> Perhaps "portable" within the OS was your goal, but in the mean time
> >> "portable" between very different OSs has been tainted.
> >
> >If you mean "FreeBSD should be Linux-driver-compatible", then your bus is
> >leaving and you should be warming a seat.
>
> No, it means that it the ability to port from one OS to another is a win
> for both camps and that it should be a consideration.

This is still pretty straightforward, actually.  Your problem is that
you're looking at an API with *more* functionality, and you need to
incorporate the superset.  You'll typically find that everything your
Linux driver does can be handled with a wrapper that's also busspace
compatible.

> >> One of the problems with "free software" is that the big picture is missed
> >> because the people writing OS's dont care (and for the most part dont
> >> understand) about vendors supporting multiple, very different, OS's.
> >
> >One of the problems these vendors face is that "free software" OS
> >developers are less interested in pursuing the lowest common denominator.
>
> Which is why linux is running away with the market, because its too
> difficult to support several free OSs so you just support the largest market.

This suggests that we should just become "Linux".  No thanks.

> >If you think that "memory mapped registers" are platform-portable, all I
> >can suggest is that you try playing with a few different platforms, and
> >preferably some time when you're prepared for a nasty shock.
>
> I said OS portable, not platform portable. The original purpose of Freebsd
> was to be an intel specific optimization of BSD. Clearly that is no longer
> the case.

So glad you noticed.