Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:55:14 -0400
To:        "Hugo Silva" <klr@6s-gaming.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Installation

This is valid advice. However, since you say your are new to FreeBSD
(and, perhaps, *nix?), I would break the process down like this. Use a
terminal (xterm) to do run these commands. Otherwise, excuse the
simplicity. I'll assume you're using sudo for root privilege.

1. It's easiest to use the ports tree (/usr/ports). Apache is in the
www directory under /usr/ports. So, go there.

	cd /usr/ports/www

There are a few versions you could install when it comes to Apache. You
can see them with

	ls -d apache*

'apache13' is the most straight forward to start with. So, go into this
directory,

	cd apache13

2. Fetch, extract, and compile. Check the Makefile for things you can
modify to your needs.

	more Makefile

Look for "defined(...)" or "!defined(...)". For example,

	.if (!defined(WITHOUT_APACHE_EXPAT)...

In the case of Apache 1.3.x you can specify "-DWITHOUT_APACHE_EXPAT".
If you're unsure about this, then forget about it. Just compile and
install. Or extract,

	sudo make extract

which will usually tell you what you can modify on the command line.
Otherwise,

	sudo make

You can do the make and install in one line.

	sudo make install

If your were to exclude expat support, then you would use this

	sudo make -DWITHOUT_APACHE_EXPAT
	sudo make install
or
	sudo make -DWITHOUT_APACHE_EXPAT install

You can remove the installation and start over by running

	sudo make deinstall
and
	sudo rm -rf ./work

where ./ assumes you are already in /usr/ports/www/apache13/. This gets
rid of the work directory that 'make extract' created.

You don't have to do it like this all the time. But once you're
familiar with the basic process, you will discover your own refined
process.

Good luck,

Alex