Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:45:18 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, jmz@freebsd.org, Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Subject:   latex, tex, dvips, xdvi ports

Dear All,

I am wondering why we still have the tex, latex, dvips, xdvi (and maybe other
such ports) in the ports.  They have not been updating for a long time, and they
are all replaced by the single teTeX port.

The problem is that many people who are new to FreeBSD install latex without
realising that the port teTeX is the better way to go.  (For example, the source
code for the dvips port seems to be no longer available.)

If there are good reasons to keep this port (for some backwards compatibility
reasons) then we should add a note to the pkg-descr files suggesting that the
user use teTeX if possible.  Otherwise, how about completely removing these
ports.

I should also add that the tex/latex ports are incompatible with the teTeX port.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu