Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 11:56:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Removing ptrace(2)'s dependency on procfs(5)

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Robert Watson wrote:

> Well, I guess the decision I was trying to look at was:
>
> (1) Is it a global security policy that debugging primitives may never be
>     applied to kernel processes.
>
> (2) Is it a syntactic property of the debugging primitive that it *cannot*
>     be applied to kernel processes.

I'd like to have separate flags for these attributes.  We currently abuse
P_SYSTEM for init to prevent debugging and/or swapping of them.  This
breaks harmless things like /proc/1/map and obfuscates the security
checks for init.  Most places depend on the P_SYSTEM check to handle
init, but at least kern_sig.c still uses both the P_SYSTEM check and a
check of init's magic pid.

Bruce