Date:      08 Oct 2001 13:37:03 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/29525: hier(7) has sometimes-erroneous descriptions of tmp dirs.

Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

>  How about the following patch?  Does this please everyone?
>
>  +.Sh NOTES
>  +This manual page documents the default FreeBSD filesystem layout, but
>  +the actual hierarchy on a given system is defined at the system
>  +administrator's discretion.
>  +A well-maintained installation will include a customized version of
>  +this document.

It pleases this one.  It leaves the man page in error, in my judgement,
because by default neither /tmp or /var/tmp is cleaned at boot, while
the man page implies that /tmp IS cleaned.  (It says /var/tmp is not
cleaned.)  But the addition helps and I'll let the other stuff drop.

(I'm starting to get bumbed out by hitting up against the desire of man
page maintainers to keep the man pages lean and mean (and often unclear
or otherwise unhelpful), but I've known about that for twenty years and
mostly understand it and I'll do my best to deal with it gracefully.)

P.S. Should I have CC's this to freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
as well?  I suspect that it is best to just use one's judgement
about what to CC there, right?

P.P.S. Is there a way to change one's e-mail address in the PR
database?