Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:27:46 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sh Scripting - String Manipulation

--On Friday, October 14, 2005 08:39:04 -0700 Drew Tomlinson
<drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:

> That's a good idea (and something else I never thought of) if I wanted
> all the files, not just the *.jpg files.  And as I'll explain below, I
> intend to expand this script to work with additional directories where I
> might just want the *.mp3 or the just the *.avi, *.mpg, etc.  My thought
> was to build a script and run it through cron to keep the symlinks
> updated.

OK.  Then I think you're going about it the wrong way.

This would accomplish what you want without having to do any string
manipulation, and without having to generate a list of files.  The for loop
does all that for you.

for files in /my/dir/for/files/*.jpg
do
NEWFILES=`$files | cut -d'/' -f 6`
ln -s $files /new/dir/for/pics/$NEWFILES
done

Before you put the symlink line in the script, you'll want to echo
$NEWFILES so you can make sure you're cutting at the right place.
(Practice on the commandline so you can see what cut is doing.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member