Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:56:36 +0100
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: totem and dvd playing

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 19:30 -0200, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> However there are just a few problems that remains
> over the releases of gnome, and seems to not have
> a solution.
>
> 1) totem
>     when the support for using xine as the rendering was dropped in 2.28
>     totem looses the ability to play dvds. and consumes much more cpu.
>     As a solution, users started to use vlc, gmplayer, or even

Are you sure there is anything wrong with Totem regarding DVD playback?
I can play DVDs perfectly fine -

http://i53.tinypic.com/33c0kmf.jpg

- and as far as I can remember, this has always been the case (not a
huge DVD fan myself, so my memory may be a bit blurry). Of course, this
is with regular Totem / gstreamer backend, and everything looks ok.

>     solution, but it is better than having 3 players in the environment
> (mplayer, vlc, totem, xine)
>     mplayer because I need mencoder

mencoder is not tied to mplayer and vice versa, those two are separate
ports - multimedia/mplayer and multimeda/mencoder (even though they
internally share the same code base and having them both doesn't hurt
that much).

>     I know that the best solution is to "fix"  the gstreamer to make it
> play dvds...

For me, it seems to do pretty fine, at least with the few DVDs I just
checked.

>     but it is out of my skills..  the other solution is to re-insert the
> xine engine
>     in totem.... but it is out of my skills too..   do you have a
> solution???

To voice probably a somewhat personal opinion, xine has always been a
huge pile of crap and for the second half of this decade, I haven't met
a single person using it (save for occasional testing), and that goes
for both BSD and Linux worlds. Reinserting xine backend into totem would
make many people really angry (and in my estimates around the number of
*everyone*, but again, that might just be a very personal point of
view).

> 2) Gdm
>     the current gdm that is shipped with version 2.32 does not have all
> the
>     features of the "old"  one (2.26, 2.28) so I had to rebuild
> gnome-2.32.1
>     to depend on the old gdm.   again, not a good solution.

The "new" gdm - and you are probably thinking of the pre-2.26, since
after the major rewrite it's been staying about the same feature wise -
is something that happened quite a time ago and most people already got
over it, there's really no way back at this point. It's what Gnome
developers decided was the best course of action and simply hacking
FreeBSD's port of Gnome to rely on archaic gdm that doesn't integrate
well with newer releases wouldn't lead anywhere. This happened many
times before (sawfish anyone?) and will happen again (hi to
gnome-shell), fighting with the issue on FreeBSD level isn't going to
work in the long term. Think only of the manpower wasted.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)