Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        ark@eltex.ru
Cc:        oppermann@pipeline.ch, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ipfilter@postbox.anu.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Packet/traffic shapper ?

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 ark@eltex.ru wrote:
> Ok, it patches _all_ network interface drivers instead of working with
> ip-level modules.. I definitely _do_not_want_ a thing like this to be
> in my kernel..

It must suck not wanting BPF in your kernel. :)  I'm not sure how you live
with yourself.

Any sort of intrusive features like ALTQ will require intrusive code to
implement them.

How else would you suggest this sort of thing be handled?

(Hint, dummynet appears to require device driver modification to work.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  |This space | '78 Datsun 280Z | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |is for rent| '84 Volvo 245DL | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |