Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 06:55:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      List User <listuser@netspace.net.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org

Newsgroups: freebsd.current
From: Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject: Re: PAO Integration?
To: Terry Lambert <tlambert>
Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: Warner Losh <imp>, mike, y-nakaga, mark, current
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:31:20 GMT

Archie and I added dthe RB_POWEROFF flag to allow our Interjets to turn
off the power when requested.  In other situations we do not want to
remove power, but rather halt so that control is then handed to the H/W
watchdog, which will do a full reset of everything. I was also thinking of
laptops whan I added this. (see the commit message)  We'd be really
thrilled if someone changed the semantics out from under us......

RB_POWEROFF does exactly that.
RB_HALT     does NOT do that. The processor either executes a HALT
instrauction, or enters a type loop. Alternatively it might go to a
firmware monitor, but we don't have that.

what the 'shutdown' instruction does is arguable, but my personal feel is
that it should require an argument to make it power off. Just like it
requires an argument to make it reboot.