Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:31:19 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

Andrew Gordon writes:

> So, I still think a change to lpr/lpd would be useful, though so far
> it looks like I am in a minority of 1....

I don't think the banner page you are seeing originated in your FreeBSD
box, so there is no way lpr/lpd could be changed to delete it.

You didn't say what printer name you were printing to on the HP. As I
remember there are two names HP supports, "text" and "raw". Forgot
which was considered default. But if you had an old Sun that was able
to print without this banner page then maybe one of these devices
doesn't include the banner?

Another idea about the Sun was that it might not have been printing via
lpd. HP has downloadable software for printing on JetDirect printers
that provides GUI control and status of the printer. By that backdoor
one might disable banner printing on a job by job basis.

"Modern" Solaris is such a pain to set up standalone networked printers
that HP's JetDirect software is a real blessing.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net