Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:36:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl issue on freebsd 4.x?

Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I have a script where I attempt to use Sys::Syslog, and while it
> works on several platforms it does not work on FreeBSD 4.x (well,

I just had this problem a few days ago, the machine it runs on also
uses -s with syslogd (on 4.7-stable). The solution was to use

	use Sys::Syslog qw(:DEFAULT setlogsock);

instead of

	use Sys::Syslog;

and later do a

	setlogsock('unix');

right before the call to openlog().

Syslogd on the machine listens on an "*.syslog" udp4 socket. The machine
is multihomed. The "-s" flag to syslogd is explained as "Do not log
messages from remote machines" - perhaps the perl process is considered
to be remote ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        Hamburg, Europe        hm@kts.org        www.kts.org
      There is a difference between an open mind and a hole in the head.