Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:26:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, rnordier@nordier.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   aout-to-elf and bootblocks Success

I just completed an upgrade from a 9/1998 -current to 1/2/1999 elf
-current.  The new bootblocks work and the elf kernel works.

Thanks to the core team for the hard work, and especially Mike Smith
for all the help he gave me, and, to Robert Nordier for the bootblock
help.

tomdean

The steps were:

1.  Upgrade to the latest -current
    cvsup
    make world
      Note:  I used make -DNOGAMES -DNOPERL world to save time and
             to get around a missing gv.h.  I will look for this
             when I do the last make world.
    rebuild and install a new kernel

2.  make -DNOGAMES -DNOPERL aout-to-elf
    Again, time and gv.h
    actually, I used aout-to-elf-build and aout-to-elf-install
    It would be nice if Makefile.upgrade told the world it was
    successful, after touching the /usr/obj/do* file.

3.  reboot.

4.  install the new bootblocks.
    cd /sys/boot
    make sure 'objformat' returns elf
      if necessary, setenv OBJFORMAT elf
    make all install
    disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 da1

5.  reboot

6.  build a new kernel and install it
    cd /sys/compile/<kernel name>
    make clean
    make KERNFORMAT=elf depend
    make KERNFORMAT=elf
    mv kernel kernel.elf
    install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg kernel.elf /

7.  reboot
    The first time through, I booted kernel
    reboot
    This time, I booted kernel.elf

I can build and execute elf's.
# g++ hello.cpp -o hello
# file hello
hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),\
       dynamically linked, not stripped

I have 3 steps left, but, they should be easier.  At least I
understand these.

8.  make world to be sure all the problems are out of the sources.

9.  rebuild and install an elf kernel, to catch-up after 8.

10. rebuild all the ports and applications... to convert to elf.
    Are there any tools to catch all the ports that are installed
    and rebuild them?  I planned to go through /var/db/pkg.  There
    are some duplications, like XFree86-3.3.1 and XFree86-3.3.2.
    If I create a tool, based on /var/db/pkg or pkg_info, I will
    send it along.