Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:22:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Welders causing dial-out to fail

At Wed, 7 Nov 2001 it looks like SNF composed:

lists->Ted,
lists->Just to put another 1/2 cent in...  I agree with you wholeheartedly.  In my
lists->previous replies, I doubt I made it as clear as you did above, the
lists->importance of a good ground -- and this is not just for your computer
lists->equipment, but the rest of the "stuff" that a company has that uses power.
lists->Even lights being fed with "bad" electricity can constantly fluctuate (not
lists->so much to be obvious, though) giving people headaches and other odd
lists->ailments...
lists->

You may be able to "sync" the ground(s) on one common pipe, usually
a plumbing pine but to make a NEW ground you'll need roughly a 1/2"
to 3/4" diameter solid copper rod, at least 6' (feet) in length and
sharpen the end and physically drive it (vertically) into the
"ground/dirt" under the floor of the shop till only around 3"
(inches) are visable, enough to clamp on your new ground straps.

We've had to do that before in creating new machine points in the
shop. It was the licensed (Union) Electricians that were doing that,
it was I that went and cut and sharpenend the stock and asked a ton
of questions.

That was before taking a withdrawl from Machinist Union 2-1/2 years
ago to do some Unix/Linux admin work where I currently work at.

--
Bill Schoolcraft | PO Box 210076
    San Francisco, CA 94121