Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:19:25 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version freebsd

At 05:06 PM 1/9/2002 +00-07, Jim McIver wrote:
>I'm confused about the versions of freebsd.

It's confusing for many at first.  The documentation is designed to answer
all of your questions, but sometimes a few helpful pointers can get you
rolling.

>I've read quite a bit about freebsd-current and freebsd-stable, but
>uname -v show's I have freebsd 4.4 -RELEASE #0.

You're running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, possibly installed from a CD.

>Where does the RELEASE version fit in the mix of the other two
>versions, and if I want to run the most reliable version of 4.4, which
>should I have?

Release is a snapshot of stable written to a cd and distributed for others
to install from.

Stable is what the source tree is called between releases.

Current is the development branch.

Take a look at the faq, chapter 1, 1.7 - 1.9.  This explains it in greater
detail.

>If I should be running something different than what I have, can
>anyone supply a link to the easiest way to change? I usually get lost
>half way though reading about how to upgrade/change on the locations
>I've read.

The handbook, chapter 19 contains a lot of useful information.  I suggest
you read it completely.

>thx,
>-
>Jim McIver