Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:56:57 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation opportunities (Was: resolv.conf overwrite

* Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org> [010412 15:41]:

>                                                             ------
> Total so far                                               $219.94
>
> dhclient is not in the index of the other books listed above and I
> don't recall a reference to it in any of the documentation I have
> perused.

man -k dhclient.

Trust me, BSD manpages actually make sense.
They're up to date, accurate and well-referenced.

If you've ever used Linux, this will come as a great surprise to you
(it did to me).

> .....responsibility from about 1963-1995.  As a market,
> I am probably typical of a hopelessly small segment (and a darn
> curmudgeon to boot "Sonny, I remember when...").

"We had to bang zeroes together just to get the ones?"

> ......that. Right now I would be happy knowing
> exactly what scripts, files etc. my system is accessing when it
> boots up and how to read them.  What logs are produced and how to
> read them.  Yes, I can read C code.  I feel I can learn to read
> scripts (hopefully with the help of some of the stuff I have bought).

Then nothing's stopping you.

read the manpages on the loader, then on init, then on rc.
You can sit down with a few xterms and follow the entire boot
sequence from beginning to end.

As the bald guy said: "Welcome to the real world".
( "a.s.r - we took *both* pills" )
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns