Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 09:53:00 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Geoffrey T. Cheshire" <gtc@cheshirelaw.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My perfect laptop!

greg gabbed

> On Tuesday,  8 May 2001 at 17:11:59 -0700, Geoffrey T. Cheshire wrote:
> > The Fn key is a bit of a bummer--especially with the flipping WinKey next to
> > it (which I don't even use in Windows!), but in my experience all laptops
> > have some funky key placement that takes a bit of time to get used to
> > (especially with all the emacs key sequences :)

The fn key on my new A21p is in the lower left, and I think it's in the
same place on my old 755c.  The alt keys are on either side of the
space bar, just like every other pc keyboard I can recall using (how
else would you hit them with your thumbs, which is what I think I do .
. .)

Windows key? neither has one . . .

Given that the fn key controls hardware functions, it would be hard to
let it remape . . .

> Agreed.  But if you have an alternative, this speaks against the
> ThinkPad.  The Dell Inspiron series also have most of the other
> features, and they have a Ctrl key in the bottom left corner, so I can
> remap it to Alt.

I'm just amazed anyone *wants* a modifier that far out.  My hands
aren't basket-ball huge, but they're large.  After a few days of
intensive emacs use on a control-key-in-exile keyboard (the lower left
instead of next to the A where God meant it to be), I actually had to
see a physician for muscle strain . . . fortunately, a little pie ce of
plastic just happened to fall out of the keyboard, and the mechanical
toggle stopped working (now *I* wouldn't have tampered with a
university machine . . . :) so that I could remap.

Serves  me right for using that heretical operating system cum editor,
anyway :)

> > I have to defend the eraser pointer.  After using IBM and Toshiba
> > laptops for years now, I cannot stand touchpads.  They are extremely
> > imprecise in comparison, and make dragging the pointer to highlight
> > text very difficult.  Also, I find that having the pointer in the
> > middle of the keyboard is great--no need to move your hands away
> > from the typing position to mouse.

> Hmm.  Certainly I'd give it a try.

It's become my second favorite layout.  *anything* that makes me lift
my hands from the keyboard tends to make me cranky (one of the reasons
that windows drives me nuts).  I can move the red thing with my fingers
in place, and all three buttons are reachable by my thumb (yep, the
middle button (below the L and R) works under X).

The only layout I've preferred is the old 1xx series Powerbooks (I had
a 180), but I doubt the design would carry well to multiple buttons.
THere were buttons above *and* below the trackball, so you could mouse
& click with your thumb from the keyboard, and you could also
forefinger & thumb the ball and lower button.  Now that I think about
it, I'm not sure that I prefer that to the red button.  It took a touch
of getting used to, but now it's great.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail