Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:05:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   About moused and Artec mouse

I have a 3-button Artec brand mouse which I bought a few months ago.
Running 2.2.2R.

XF86config with Protocol "mouseman" works fine, but the middle button
has never worked.  I've used "emulate3buttons" with success, but I
hate hitting the two outside buttons together.

Now, I'd like to run moused(8) and use /dev/sysmouse.  However, in contrast
to the man page, moused rejects -i all, and -3.  With -t mouseman, on
syscons, the mouse tracks well, but pasting is impossible.  The right
mouse button doesn't extend the highlighted field, but rather pastes one
or two characters from the selected field.  Pressing both outside buttons
causes unpredictable behavior, mostly resetting the selected area and
simultaneously pasting odd bits.  I can't get response from the middle
button at all, except when I run the DOS install which has a mouse demo
and shows all three (warning that Windows doesn't know about the middle).

And, nothing works in XF86Config.  Protocol sysmouse is unknown, and
mousman causes the mouse pointer to dither in the upper left corner.
At least, without moused, I can use Protocol mouseman + Emulate3Buttons.

Is there any info on the Artec mouse?  Or do I just pitch it and buy
another?

	Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
		ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY