Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:12:46 +1000
From:      Q <q_dolan@yahoo.com.au>
To:        cmustard@nyc.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new install of 5.2 ISO aft hour system freeze cold reboot only option

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 04:38, cmustard@nyc.rr.com wrote:
> Everything runs fine for about an hour and a half then everything freezes (
> doesnt recognize keyboard, mouse, anything etc ) and i have to do a cold
> reboot ( ouch! ).

Do you have X running or any additional cards/devices/drivers in use in
the machine when this occurs? Which ethernet are you using etc.

> This is in console or in X. (I experienced similiar problems trying to
> run linux on this box, it would get kernel panics, only cold reboot would
> release it.) I do believe this to be related to ACPI but have no proof.

Does this still happen with ACPI disabled?

> This is a relatively new machine but i have seen other posters running
> similiar, so it should run freebsd fine.
> Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon/XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe
> Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T
> AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 266 MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor
> 512MB RAM (Geil).

I have been running a ASUS A7N8X-VM (MTX version of your board) in my
home firewall for a couple of months. There are some occasional issues
with the USB causing lockups, eg. turning my USB printer off and on
again can sometimes cause a complete hang. Having ACPI enabled can also
cause interrupt related problems in some configurations.

> I am hoping someone with a similiar set-up (these are very popular modern
> componets) can share experiances or a bios set up or kernel config, or
> other information. I really want to run freebsd on this box.

Apart from the issues mentioned above I have had no problems with this
hardware.

--

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /   Quinton Dolan q_dolan@yahoo.com.au
     /    __  /   _/    /      /         Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /             Ph: +61 419 729 806
                            _\