Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:08:02 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: check bandwidth traffic

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> > I know the the following software can check the
> > network traffic
> > http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
> >
> > but how do I know the nearest cisco router?
>
> It's your default gateway (if it is a Cisco I can't tell, but it's
> the nearest router). netstat -r will tell you what it is.
Not always, he could be behind a NAT or Bridge and that would then be his
route in some/most cases (all if its a NAT). Best would be to traceroute
and nmap or passiveos scan each of the first few links till you turn up a
positive or just ask the network connectivity person. You may have to
anyways to get the authorization and maybe public strings to get mrtg
working (because not all strings are remotely obtainable, least in a
Perfect World).

HTH
PsyV