Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:12:30 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD laptop computer

On 2007-03-14 20:14, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> i need to buy new notebook for personal use.
>
> Could you give me an advice what will be actually FULLY supported by
> FreeBSD.
>
> Other needs are:
>
> a) low price
> b) high reliability
> c) long battery run
>
> processing power and extra peripherals are not important, even slower NEW
> laptops are much more powerful that me needs.
>
> Especially WiFi is unneeded, LAN will be OK but it's not a problem to
> attach one.

I'm running CURRENT on a Toshiba Satellite U200.

There's a minor catch-22 with these laptops, because their internal fxp0
NIC is not yet supported by RELENG_6, but it works fine on CVS HEAD.
So, to install CURRENT on it, I had to bootstrap from a snapshot from
ftp.freebsd.org.

Another minor nit is that I haven't really tried a lot to get the
internal Intel-based WiFi adapter to work.  I have a D-Link DWL-AG650
(H/W Ver: B2) PC-Card, which is Atheros-based and works like a charm.

The snd_hda driver supports the audio chipset of this laptop quite
nicely, and Ariff has committed to CURRENT a patch which fixes a minor
glitch (plugging in head-phones wouldn't turn the speakers off).

All in all, this has been an excellent buy for me, and I'm planning to
bump the physical memory to 1GB or more "real soon now" :)

Battery-life is almost 3 hours, which is probably short for some of the
more modern laptops.  I haven't tested using the same laptop with one of
the special Toshiba batteries, though.