Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Kastaki <kastaki@ganbert.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MODEM & THE COMPLETE FREEBSD

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, David Johnson wrote:

> Kastaki wrote:
>
> > The first few chapters are good in installing the OS, but the author needs
> > to understand that most readers (like me) are coming from other platforms.
>
> The target audience for the book is not the newbie. It may be geared
> towards those new to FreeBSD, but it is not geared towards those new to
> Unix, Unix-like systems, and the intricacies of hardware. In short, it
> is an "advanced" book on FreeBSD.
>
> > I still like to know a simple fact - why is it impossible for FreeBSD to
> > work with Internal Modems (especially WinModems).
>
> For the same reason it's nearly impossible to any non-Windows system to
> work with WinModems. (FreeBSD has no problems with internal *component*
> modems).
>
> WinModems are lobotomized devices. You don't want them EVEN IF you are
> using Windows. All of the functions you normally think a modern modem
> performing are not performed in the hardware, but in software. (Imagine
> if your FPU (floating point unit) on your CPU did nothing at all except
> forward all instructions to a software floating point emulator).
>
> WinModems are one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated by the
> computer industry. The only reason they can legally get away with
> selling is because technically they are still MOdulators/DEModulators.
> The situation would be similar to a video card manufacturer shipping a
> "3D Enhanced Graphics" card and running all 3D rendering in software.
>
> (sorry for the rant, winmodems are one of my pet peeves)

Someone asked me how one determines whether or not one has a winmodem.
(Macs sometimes have the equivalent of winmodems also.)  Of course
they don't work, but the user doesn't know for sure whether it's
because it's a winmodem or because ppp or whatever is not properly
set up--and thus doesn't know whether or not to give up.

I also know of no question I can ask a sales person that they have a
chance of answering to determine whether the modem in a laptop is a
"winmodem."

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC