Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:52:07 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: The next exciting installment of docproj.docbook.mk splitting.

Neil,

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 05:02:14PM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> I've received a few hints, and here is my new offering.
>
> Stuff added:
>
> - Automatic after-install COMPAT_SYMLINK handling

Excellent.

> - ROOT_SYMLINKS pointing to important documents leads to symlink from
>   DOCDIR to that document (ie, doc/faq to doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq),
>   if we're building the primary language (PRI_LANG) version.

Excellent.

> - packaging!

Excellent.

> - package now traverses the tree, creating packages as it goes.  Default
>   package location is DOC_PREFIX/packages if it exists, or the current
>   directory if not

Very, very sweet.

Great work Neil.  You've pretty much managed to do everything that was on
my make(1) ToDo list, including the bits that I hadn't got round to
mentioning (${ROOT_SYMLINKS} for one), and after reading through the code
to do it you've done it better than I could.

I'm cleaning up a few places, fixing your inconsistent use of doc.project.mk
vs. docproj.docbook.mk, and fixing the odd typo in the comment, but apart
from that I'll be committing this ASAP.  My local tree is in a bit of a
state at the moment, because I'm in the middle of an update to the primer.
I'll get that sorted, and bring your .mk files in to the tree as soon as I
can (hopefully within 24 hours or so).

Which just about leaves room for a quick straw poll.  Underscores in
variable names to separate words.  Good or bad?

We're inconsistent in how we use them, which always leaves me having to
think for a second when writing the Makefiles ("Hmm, is it ${DOCDIR}
or ${DOC_DIR}?").  A quick look through /usr/share/mk shows that by and
large the use of _ is deprecated.  There are occasional instances of
${NEED_LIBNAMES} or ${DEBUG_FLAGS}, but they're far outweighed by the
number of ${CFLAGS}, ${LDDESTDIR}, ${DEPENDFILE}, and ${NOPROFILE}, to
name a few.  The use of ..._FLAGS vs. ...FLAGS is particularly
confusing.

Right now it would be pretty trivial to strip the '_' from our variable
names, and to the best of my knowledge we don't (yet) have lots of
people external to the project who are using our files on systems other
than FreeBSD -- so the impact is likely to be minimal.  Doing this at a
later stage would probably inconvenience more people.

Thoughts?

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>