Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@FreeBSD.ORG, remy@boostworks.com, pavel@alum.mit.edu, nsayer@sftw.com, juliam@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

<<On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:11:34 -0500, "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com> said:

> Like Garrett said, apparently some Ethernet hardware (the "better"
> cards mind you) can DMA to any address, others can only do it on
> 16-bit or 32-bit boundaries, hence the flaming hoops.

16-bit is not a problem (unless some loser invents a link layer with
odd-length headers).  32-bit is a problem, for the reasons which have
already been developed.

> From reading the code, the driver doesn't have to operate this way.
> It just allocates an ether_header seperate from the mbuf chain.  This
> data could be in the mbuf (with some alignment haggling) with very
> little drop in performance.

Speaking as the perpetrator of that driver (although I will disclaim
all knowledge if you ask me questions), I probably did that because I
didn't know anything at the time about writing network interface
drivers (or indeed UNIX device drivers at all).

-GAWollman