Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Thanos Tsouanas <thief_grr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems, please advise helpless newbie

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Thanos Tsouanas wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Thanos Tsouanas <thief_grr@yahoo.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: X problems, please advise helpless newbie
>
> wud it be better to comment out all the ttyv8 lines and start XFree86 as a normal user, and then
> start windowmaker?
>
> i really cant make xdm to work...
> any suggestions?

There's a thorough HowTo on setting up a display manager (e.g. xdm, kdm,
...) here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

I can't think of any reason why it won't work if you follow the
instructions. Note that X *must* load properly for xdm to work properly.
If you need to test and setup X first, use an xinitrc file, e.g.:

$ echo "exec wmaker" > /home/user/.xinitrc

and then try 'startx'. The Handbook page above should get you going with
xdm.

HTH - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg