Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 12:10:35 +0100
From:      Jonathan Hathaway <jonh@demon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD FTP Installation

Please help!

I downloaded the boot.flp and fdimage.exe and booted my computer which
is a:

AMD K5 Processor
32Mb RAM
Opti M/Board
Cirrus 1MB SVGA
Maxtor 850MB HDD
Mitsumi x4 CD-ROM

I have an extended Partition of 100Mb and was going to use 750 Mb for
FreeBSD.
I booted up, went through the Kernel config etc, setup up the FDISK type
program to use FreeBSD and made it active and bootable i.e.' CA= 'etc.
Auto configured the HDD Labels etc.

Selected full download including source games and Xfree86 etc Went
through the other prompts until Select nearest FTP site. Used the TERM
program to start a PPP serial connection to my ISP. Started the
connection started downloading the various components. Right at the end
it said it had finished downloading "/usr" configuration and it just sat
there doing nothing.

Re-booted my machine from the HDD nothing it came up ' boot: ' etc and
said it could not find the kernel?? Re-directed it to the kernel on the
FDD and it went back to the startup screen. Tried rebooting and using '
kernel.GENERIC ' and kept saying could not find various files.

It seems as if FreeBSD is not installed?? Does it matter that the drive
I wanted to use for FreeBSD was FAT32?? Do I have to format the HDD
partition before I download FreeBSD???

HELP!!! What have I done??

Please send me a reply ASAP

Jon Hathaway