Date:      Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:42:34 -0800
From:      Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backup Tapes - Advise sought

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to buy a tape drive. Some sales geek has suggested HP Surestore DAT40 - a DDS-4
>tape drive. I've gotten mixed up with this DDS and DLT stuff. What's the difference?
>I am not quite familiar with tapes.
>
>Does someone recommend something else different than the one here?
>I also welcome any reasons supporting some particular type of tape drive.

The DLT drive is faster, bigger, cost more and so does the tapes (initialy)
The real differens is that the head on a DAT tape drive rotates. This
meanes that the tapes does not last as long as the DLT tapes, where the
head is stationary.
It also meanes that you might experies tracking problems if you try to
restore on a different drive that the one that made the backup.
Finaly if your disk system is not fast enough to feed the DLT drive you
will see a huge slow down. Because the drive vill run out of data, then
it has to rewind and find the end of the data and start writing again.
The DAT drive is the same, but is slower so it is less likely to happen.

\Flemming