Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:21:39 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        "Mr. Darren" <darren780@yahoo.com>, freebsd <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: copy harddrive image

At 01:18 PM 10.29.2002 -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>:> I have had a harddrive which is doing the SMART imminent failure thing
>:> for the last little while.  I had western digital send me a new drive so
>:> I could copy all my data over.  I am wondering what the best way to do
>:> this is?  "dd if=ad0 of=ad1" doesn't seem to be like a good method..
>:> any input?
>:
>:That method has worked great for me in the past.  But I have usually done
>:this with brand new disks (source being freshly installed).  Also no
>:partitions on either disk were mounted.
>:
>:I would add the argument bs=131072
>:
>: - Mike
>
>    What I usually do is fdisk and disklabel the new disk, which gives
>    me a chance to adjust the size of the partitions.  I then dd each
>    partition across (e.g. dd if=ad0s1a of=ad1s1a) for those partitions
>    whos sizes didn't change, fsck them after I'm done, and use 'cpdup'
>    (/usr/ports/sysutils/cpdup) to copy the rest via mounts.
>
>    The advantage of using cpdup is that you can do it on a live system,
>    take the system down to single user, do cpdup again to catch
>    whatever changes from the first run (usually very little, so cpdup
>    only takes a few seconds the second time), then power off, swap the
>    drives, and reboot.  Total actual down time: 5 minutes or less.
>
>    DDing the entire disk works too, at least if the system is idle.  Be
>    sure to fsck the destination drive though before mounting it.
>
>						-Matt

Hi, Matt: I've never tried your "cpdup" program I just installed the port
to try it.
....and wonder:

1) why you prefer it to ole dump/restore?
2) what would be the typical syntax of the line command you use to copy
over the ad0s1f to ad1s1f partition for example.

I like your dd/cpdup combo approach and would like to try it on a test box.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net