Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:58:49 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Right way to upgrade a port

--==_Exmh_-902768339P

If memory serves me right, Chris Piazza wrote:
> On 26-May-99 Oscar Bonilla wrote:
> > I was just wondering what is the right way to upgrade a port...
> > say i have foobar-1.2 and the port has been upgraded to foobar-2.0
> >
> > do I
> >
> > 1. pkg_delete foobar-1.2
> >    cd /usr/ports/misc/foobar
> >    make install
> >
> > 2. cd /usr/ports/misc/foobar
> >    make install
> >

> > how do you guys do it and why?
>
> I think the True Way is #1.  Doing #2 has a few nasties such as leaving old
> files around and having a very polluted /var/db/pkg.

<AOL>
I agree.
</AOL>

> > p.s. wouln't it be cool if you could install on top of the old
> > version and later remove the new version just to find out that the
> > old version still works. :)
>
> I have a feeling that that would require a lot of hard drive space
> for backups :-).  There could be the odd chance that would work.
> Say, if the new version installed everything in a different place!

This has come up one or two times in the past...that's what GNU stow
was designed to handle.  For more information look for "stow" in the
mailing list archives.  While I feel that adding some stow-like
features to our ports/packages system (to cover exactly this
situation) would be a Good Thing (TM), it's not immediately obvious
(to me anyways) what all the implications would be.  The devil is in
the details....

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-902768339P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBN0x8qKjOOi0j7CY9AQHRNgP+OVafBaBRSapCzZdflk2NGzvf0JTCBS/4
j1AdcLVjxEDYi+K5YPpBEwwRsZ7Vn44Mq+jnwzqw8xGN3ewlyIEJDhOUDpHLqHP8
66g5ecF2yuzDx7knqtiCI+VaZa5Xyi31bsUzSkIBgVQX/vlUejksG9vLTNscohOh
a5Mucgp5WRc=
=B+10
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-902768339P--