Date:      Sun, 07 May 2000 21:23:51 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for bootable Vinum file systems: please review

>> The right way to do it is probably to link the "struct disk"s
>> registered by the drivers with disk_creat() into a list which can
>> be searched.
>
>This is pretty much what struct devstat does, except that it's more
>global.  Why should we maintain two lists, just because one is
>primarily intended for statistics?

Because it was only intended for statistics.

My belief, and this is probably shared by phk, is that the handlers
for different partition types should be "executed" or "attached to"
as those partitions are found.  A scan of a list is only necessary
in the event of a handler being registered after a partition is found.
Although devstat may suffice for the latter, it was not designed to
handle the former.  'GEOM' is what you want although I don't know
how soon phk can provide it to you.

>Anyway, I assume this isn't so much a criticism of the fix as of the
>infrastructure around it.  Correct?

It depends on whether you want an expedient "hack" or a generic, long
lived, solution.

>> Another thing that is ugly about this is the kludge in the partition
>> table.  I'd rather see us finally bite the bullet and move to an
>> extensible disklabel scheme.
>
>Again, may I take this as a criticism of the infrastructure rather
>than the fix?

I'd rather see Vinum be the champion of improved infrastructure than
another reason to sustain the status quo.

One other comment about the patches... they violate existing style
(and style(9)) in vfs_conf.c.

--
Justin