Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:48:24 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:22:50 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> There is also another thing not to forget. If you more orientated
> towards the Internet, you can use scripting languages more common
> there. This could be Pearl again, it also could be PHP.

Allow me a short addition:

Today, more and more web development seems to take place in
Javascript, either for client-side browser logic, or for
server-side stuff (Node.js), usually accompanied by the
famous "framework of the week", which is the one that once
you've learned it, it will be declared obsolete and not
supported anymore.

Javascript as a language has many "interesting" things to
pay attention to, like == != ===, non-commutative + in
regards or array and object, nested calls, no regular
integers, and so on, so there is a lot to learn.

If you're interested in what I'm talking about, here are
two Javascript-related videos by Gary Bernhardt:

Wat
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

and:

The Birth & Death of JavaScript
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

And I'm _not_ saying Javascript is bad... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany