Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:41:35 -0700
From:      "Charles Mauch" <cpm@yoonax.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   My routes and gates are giving me headaches

I posted a similar message a few days ago, but figured it was crappy so i'm
doing a better post - sorry for the redundancy...

I'm trying to keep the incoming web and mail traffic isolated on it's own
physical link back to the internet (the isdn side), and push my LAN web
browsing on the cable modem (since it's not business related anyway, and for
surfing, it's much cheaper).  Besides, I can't host(business) web material
on my cable modem without violating my AUP and raining down the wrath of the
@home admins ;)

I'm trying to setup my LAN machines (10.0.0.x) to send all their data out
through ep0 on my freebsd machine.  (ep0 is a cable modem)  The FreeBSD
machine itself has a default route going out fxp1.  (Which is ISDN ...
(business))

Here are my important settings....  IP's changed to preserve the innocent ;)

fxp1 = 206.154.19.195 / gateway 206.154.19.194 (default route)
ep0 = 24.10.68.155 / gateway 24.10.68.1
fxp0 = 10.0.0.2

natd -n fxp1 (natd running translating stuff out isdn side)

It seemed to me that the obvious solution would be so set my default gateway
to the cable modem and let the other interface just do it's thing with what
traffic it gets.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work well.  My workstations get internet access,
but it appears incoming traffic from fxp1 is responded to on ep0.  That's
bad.

If any of you guys has a solution or idea, I'd be grateful.  I've been
battling this thing for a week now, inspecting man pages and faq's, reading
old mailing list archives and in general scouring the internet.  All I've
come up with is "yes it can be done" and "i don't know how" :)

Thanks guys....

---
Charles Mauch / cpm@yoonax.net