Date:      Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:13:10 +0400
From:      Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Robert N. M. Watson" <robert.watson@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Jonathan Anderson <jonathan.anderson@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>
Subject:   [Status Update] Capsicum adaptation project: Week 6

--------------enig9888A1DC47D729B712A0CFFA

Hi,
this is the fifth update for Capsicum adaptation project.

During last week I have discussed my syslogd(8) changes with Ben. He said=
 that my way of modificatiion "looks suspiciously easy", and that we need=
 to test if all unneeded privileges have been discarded. This requires sw=
itching to FreeBSD-capsicum branch from p4, which I haven't done yet. Aft=
er this is done, I will be able to use modified procstat to examine proce=
ss privileges. Ben also agrees that I should make such switch.
I was in Belarus the most time during this week, and visited LVEE'2011 co=
nference there. During this conference I spoke to Alexey Cheusov from Net=
BSD project, who is doing similar security stuff at NetBSD now. We will l=
ikely discuss capsicum-related questions in the meantime.
This week I plan to:
1) Finally switch to p4 version of FreeBSD-capsicum (or even git tree, wi=
ll dicuss with John & Robert);
2) Fix syslogd capsicumization by using procstat;
3) Try to modify ntpd and xz archiver. The latter shoud be relatively eas=
y, because gzip has the same functionality and workflow, and it has also =
been adapted to use Capsicum;
	ntpd is more complex thing.
4) Raise (finally!) an open discussion on hackers@ about next possible ap=
plications to pay attention to.