Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:45:02 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

#define quoting(Terry Lambert)
// > Well, I don't use 4DOS, and believed that created long file names are ok.
// > Scandisk doesn't report any problems also. How 4DOS can have problems?
// > Doesn't it use standard DOS or Windows syscalls?
//
// It uses DOs calls to get the directory, then goes back and uses Win95
// calls to get the long name from the short name.
//
// The problem is that the same algorithm *must* be used for this to work
// reliably.

I suppose that by algorithm you mean how the filenames are archived,
and not how the names are converted between formats.  If it the second
option, let me remember you that Win95 registry can be programmed to
change the algorithm.  I hate those ~'s in file names.  :)

// I did effectively this when I converted FFS/UFS for Windows 95 IFS, and
// added a Unicode name space and 8.3 names for FFS/UFS directory entries;
// the problems I faced are exactly the inverse of the problems you face.

You mean you have a FFS driver for Win95 ?  Is it available ?  :)

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br