Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        n@nectar.com (Jacques Vidrine)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25

> > Lets see here, the DUL effectively _blocks_ port 25 connections at
> > the _destination_ point of the connection.
>
> The DUL is an opt-in, however, and not ubiquitous.  A corporate
> office may use the DUL, but make exceptions as necessary for its roaming
> users.

DUL is opt-in by the owner of the IP space.  Not by the users of the
IP addresses.  Our filtering is opt-in by the owner of the IP space,
not by the users.  We are not ubiquitious.  Functionaly what we do
and what the DUL does for us is the same logically, they simply different
in the physical location that the packet gets killed.

A corporate office can not use the DUL, they do not own the IP space,
thus thier request to the DUL will be rejected, unless thier ISP okays
it.

> > All we are doing is moving the filter point from the receipent point
> > to the closest we can get to the transmission point.  Further more,
> > since not everyone is running the DUL, we are insuring that the
> > policy we want in place is being enforced to the best of our
> > ability. Jacques said DUL okay, but me filtering at the source not
> > okay.  He is in self conflict.  Please examine internal operations
> > and diagnose :-)
>
> DUL is opt-in.  Filtering is draconian.  They are quite different.

DUL is opt-in by the owner of the ISP, the filtering is no more draconian
than listing our IP dialup pools on the DUL.  See above.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net