Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:08:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      tomb-freebsd@cgf.net
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;

So thanks to those who helped me resolve this.
In the end it turned out to be apache-ssl process's using something in /var to lock.
To resolve it I ran lsof (a very useful tool) and piped it through grep for the /var entries, this showed that apache-ssl was slowly filling up /var.

I just did a restart and the disk usage went back to 1%.

Tom