Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:53:20 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        henryammons@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intermittant freezing problems

> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:35:43 -0800 (PST)
> From: Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Intermittant freezing problems
>
> Good day.
>
> A while ago I posted the request for some
> encouragement to switch from Windows 2k
> Server/Exchange to FreeBSD.  I have *really* enjoyed
> my time with FreeBSD thus far; you can see exactly
> what's going on (or find out eventually), and there
> isn't that mysterious disk activity when nothing is
> happening--it's an honest operating system.
>
> I have run into some trouble recently, though, and was
> wondering if anyone might have suggestions.  The
> system seems to freeze with no messages or error logs
> once or twice a day.  When it freezes, the hd activity
> light illuminates and stays lit.  Pre-BSD I did not
> experience any troubles with the exact same hardware.
> I'm wondering if it is a hardware probe that is
> causing my troubles or possibly my bios settings.
>
> The system:
> AMD 600 Athlon
> ABIT MB
> 256 MB Ram
> (2) Maxtor Drives IDE (on one channel, one master, one
> slave)
> (2) Linksys ethernet cards, only one in use with
> static ip, the other is not configured

The first time I set up a system with two Ethernet
cards, it locked up at random, typically every two
or three days.  Upgrading to -STABLE seemed to fix
it, it has been very reliable ever since.

I don't remember how long ago that was, so I don't
know if it was 4.2-RELEASE or something older.  You
might try removing the ethernet card you are not
using and see if that helps.  If it does, and you
eventually need both cards, try updating your system
to what then will probably be 4.3-STABLE.

> No X
> FreeBSD 4.2, sshd, sendmail, apache
>
> I appreciate your help with this.  It was frozen this
> morning, but did have the standard two Charlie Root
> emails, so it was running until at least 2am.
>
> Thank you,
> Henry

You might also try searching the email archive
(at http://www.freebsd.org) for "Athlon" to see
if there is anything specific for your processor
that you need to know.

Good luck,

- Bob