Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:49:34 -0800
From:      "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

Jeremiah,
I am glad that at least your email has a much more calm tone than Anthony's
does.  I think it will take me a while to figure out the best way to respond
to his email.  My goal is totally not to make anyone upset.  Though I think
I have made a mistake towards that goal.  Conversely, I want to get us on
the same page in certain areas, and be able to dialogue appropriately about
those areas that we disagree in, in a calm non-inflammatory manner.  To this
end, I am going to take some pains to clarify specific terms.
Miscommunications is such a cause of useless anger.

> I disagree completely.  FreeBSD is not a desktop.  If progress is to be
made
> in the desktop market it shall be made by XFree86, Gnome, and KDE.

I'm not precisely sure what you mean by "FreeBSD is not a desktop," but I
take that to mean that you are saying it is an operating system as opposed
to software generally billed as a "desktop environment" (what KDE and Gnome
both bill themselves as).  If that is what you mean, then of course you are
correct, FreeBSD is not a desktop (or perhaps more accurately, FreeBSD is
not desktop environment software), it is an operating system.  And yes, the
strongest open source projects towards making Unix more acceptable to the
main stream as a desktop operating system are ones such as KDE and Gnome.
However, FreeBSD as an operating system is a great system on which to run
KDE and Gnome, arguably the second best (I would agree linux is probably the
best, since most of those projects use linux as their primary development
platform).  Of course, if we talk about non-open source projects as well,
then Apple's OS X system is also a big progress maker as far as
unix-as-a-desktop-being-acceptable-by-the-main-stream goes.

> Stating
> that FreeBSD has no place on the desktop isn't slamming FreeBSD, since
> FreeBSD is first and foremost a server operating system.

I would definitely agree that FreeBSD has it's strength in use as a server
operating system.  Now we may be getting down to hairs here, but there is a
difference between statements such as:
"FreeBSD is not the best desktop operating system."
"FreeBSD has no place on the desktop."
"FreeBSD has value in certain desktop operating system applications."
or as the web page (at www.freebsd.org) says:
"It is well-suited for a great number of both desktop and server
applications."
Which would you say is the best for a FreeBSD advocate to use?

> To say that Unix
> has no place on the desktop is a completely valid opinion, and does not
> detract from FreeBSD, ***until such time as FreeBSD claims to be a desktop
> OS***

How would you define "claims to be a desktop OS?"  Would that quote from the
web page be considered a claim, or would it be considered not a claim?

At the very least, a statement such as "FreeBSD has no place on the desktop"
should have certain qualifiers.  For example, I know many people that run
FreeBSD as a desktop operating system.  Many people that work at ISPs do.
When I worked at an ISP I used FreeBSD as an operating system.  The main
thing is what the majority of one's work involves.  At the ISP, the majority
of my time was spent logged into routers.  I found a Unix operating system
to facilitate that much better than Windows.  There are many engineering CAD
users that use Unix as a desktop operating system (perhaps not the majority,
but a significant number, I believe).  In that environment, FreeBSD might be
a valid option.  There are many Unix software engineers/programmers that use
Unix as a desktop enviroment.  Here again, FreeBSD would be a valid option
(more so than the CAD/CAM users, who probably need high end accelerated
video card support, which isn't a FreeBSD strength, though with a commercial
accelerated X server it may do better, I do not know for sure).  I am sure
others could come up with more potential desktop users, but my point is, I
would think it reasonable to ask anyone that considers themselves a FreeBSD
advocate to modify a statement such as "FreeBSD has no place on the desktop"
to something such as "FreeBSD has no appeal as a desktop operating system to
the mainstream computer user."  It'd be even more FreeBSD-advocating to use
a phrase like the one on the web site, eg "It is well-suited for a great
number of both desktop and server applications."

Let me give one more example.  If we agree now that FreeBSD in certain
specific desktop environments makes a whole lot of sense, just as Windows as
a server operating system makes sense in certain specific situations, than
let me ask you this.  If someone sent an email to a windows-advocacy list
that made the statement "Windows has no place as a server OS," don't you
think 1) that would be inappropriate for that list, and 2) that person was
not a windows advocate?

I think the biggest issue is the the incontrovertible-ness of the statement
(sorry for making up a word).  While again, I have said it is fine as an
opinion, I still claim it is not welcome on a list which has as it's charter
FreeBSD advocacy.  If you want to claim that FreeBSD is not strong as a
desktop, that is fine.  You open up a discussion about what are its
strengths and weaknesses.  If you want to claim that FreeBSD is strong as a
server OS, that is also good.  I think "FreeBSD has no place on the desktop"
is as non-useful a statement as "FreeBSD is the best server OS" (please
note, I do not say I believe that statement, it is given as an example).  To
make such incontrovertible statements either way closes the door to
discussions about the relative merits and weaknesses of FreeBSD, which I
think we mostly agree is what FreeBSD advocacy should be.

Gilbert