Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:37:29 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        "J. Goodleaf" <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dsl speed test

BWS - Offwhite wrote:

> I do not have access to the router.  They can hide pretty much everything
> and overcharge me all they want.  I am using bing now and it is telling me
> I get an estimated throughput of 178646bps which I think is 178kps, which
> is not anywhere close to 768kps.  It is not even close to my upload speed,
> which is 386kps.
>
> I do not actually pay for the service as I do freelance work for it (5
> hours a month), but when my neighbors are getting 1.5mbps dls lines for
> $90/month, I would rather get that faster/cheaper service and get paid for
> that 5 hours of work.
>
> I just hope this attempt at seeming competent about the actual line speed
> deters them from trying to screw me on the whole deal.

The local ISP's provide a DSL Bronze+ connection that they claim is
768kb/s. I've been told this is an adaptive setup and you won't see it
until you download a large file. A file transfer starts out slow and
moves up as the need continues. There has to be some file that you
need that is large enough to gauge what you eventual throughput is. I
like ws-ftp-pro because it lists the current rate during the download
but I only have that on my W2K machine. The problem would be finding a
source with no activity so that you aren't competing with a number of
people for a limited resource. With the right choice here, you may
still end up seeing 768kb/s. 178kb/s is still a lot better than my
usual 48kb/s modem connection :).

Kent

> Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
> projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com
>
> Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
> http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, J. Goodleaf wrote:
>
> > Can you telnet to the dsl router itself? I have a Cisco 675 which allows
> > one to use commands like 'stat' and 'show' to display the line rates/line
> > quality of the system. Interestingly, I have the opposite "problem." I am
> > supposed to get 256 down and 275 up but I get 384 down and 275 up
> > according to the router's stats. (The router is set to auto train, so you
> > can't accuse me of theft-of-service, although I haven't exactly
> > complained.)
> > -J
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, BWS - Offwhite wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way I can do an accurate test to determine the speed of my
> > > dsl line using FreeBSD?
> > >
> > > I am currently leasing a dsl line and feed my home network through a
> > > FreeBSD box (3.4S) running natd and ipfw.  That all works fine, but I am
> > > wondering if I am getting the full speed possible out of the dsl or if I
> > > am actually getting the line speed I am "told" that I am getting.
> > >
> > > When I first got the dsl I was getting 100k+ downloads, and that seems to
> > > have dropped to 60k+ and hardly going over 70k.  If I can determine if I
> > > am getting a slower rate than the 768k that I am told I have, I would like
> > > to offer proof on my end.
> > >
> > > My current ideas are to use lwp-download to see how fast a large file be
> > > pulled down.  I am not sure how accurate that will be though.  I would
> > > like to have a more raw number, not based on the speed of a web server on
> > > the other end.
> > >
> > > Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
> > >
> > > Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
> > > projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com
> > >
> > > Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
> > > http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com