Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:36:40 -0700
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FSCK - Was: I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second harddrive

> > I checked dmesg and you're right. In fact, the warning message was
> > pointing to all my partitions including /cdrom. So I ran fsck and it
> > reported back that the filesystem was still dirty and to re-run fsck,
> > so I did, and kept getting the same results. I read the man pages for
> > fsck and ran fsck -p  and fsck -f, not sure which one was most
> > appropriate, but the file system is still 'dirty'. What should I try
> > next to 'clean' the 'dirty' filesystem?
> >
> > --
> > Chip
>
> I hope you're not trying to run fsck on mounted file systems.
>
> --
> Walter Brameld
 Oops. What's the ramifications of doing so? It appears everything is
still working as normal. How would I run fsck on my root partition,
it gets mounted at boot up automatically of course. And as for the
other partitions that are automounted by fstab, should I comment out
the lines to mount them and then reboot? There must be a better way,
I always heard, read, and seen that the only time one needs to reboot
bsd is for hardware changes.

 --
Chip
www.wiegand.org