Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 00:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I got 2940UW timeout problem also ... help please ...

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Roger P. Johnson wrote:

>      OK. I have searched the archives, etc. and still need help on what
> appears to be an age old problem with these 2940UW's.

With an age old solution ...

>      I cannot install FreeBSD 2.2.6 or 2.2.2 onto this configuration:
>         DEC Celebris 590
>         16 MB RAM
>         2940UW BIOS ver. 1.32
>         Seagate ST34572W 4550MB Barracuda (Ultra Wide; 68 pin)
>         Panasonic SCSI-2 CD-ROM.
>
>      At the very basic level, I only have the 2940UW and the HD installed.
> Forget the CD-ROM at this point. Don't even have the 50 pin cable attached
> (not that it mattered).

Um, yes it can.

>      I am only using the 68 pin cable to the hard drive which is terminated
> by the hard drive on the very last connector.

Well, your problem reeks of termination problems so please double- and
triple-check that the drive is set termination ON and to get termination
power from the SCSI bus, but NOT supply it.  Also check your cable length
and quality.  If you have a plastic blob at the end of your cable, CUT IT
OFF.  Mine says `Amphenol' and has a couple of terminating ICs in it.

>      After FreeBSD boots up from the floppy, I finish the visual
> configuration and the 2940UW is reconized, and I have to wait for the
> SCSI devices to settle.  Then big long pause while it times out on all
> along the chain. If you leave it long enough you get the installation
> menu, and then she reboots and does it all over again.

Also try running a verify against the drive and verifying that the
termination is set to LOW OFF/HIGH ON in SCSISelect. (Mine is actually LOW
ON/HIGH ON and it works okay.)